THE DISAPPEARING MAN is a new folk opera that takes place backstage at a small-time circus in 1936. A magician and his lovely assistant fight to break free of the roles they’ve always played and start anew.
The Disappearing Man was most recently presented as part of the NYMF Reading Series in July 2019. It has previously been presented at the Ignite! Festival at the Repertory Theatre of St. Louis (April 5-6, 2017), directed by West Hyler (Cirque du Soleil’s Paramour, the Big Apple Circus), TheatreWorks Silicon Valley, Joe’s Pub and Cloud City, an alternative arts space in Brooklyn. Check out Cloud City Sessions, a record made with the 2014 Brooklyn cast below!
Join the Facebook fan page here.
“Composer Jahn Sood writes musicals that are part Wes Anderson, part Edward Gorey, and all sublime…you don’t want to miss this one…even if just to get to hear the superb music played live.”-YesBroadway.com
“Wonderfully realized by Director West Hyler, the entire cast is excellent. The Disappearing Man is a completely satisfying musical from start to finish. I eagerly anticipate a full staging filled with the sights and smells of this decaying slice of American history.” –theaterreviewsfrommyseat.com
“It’s an intriguing, beautiful look at survival and community. Oddest bunch of characters you’ll find, during a time in America when there is not enough to go around … It’s not angry — that’s the beauty of making a play about a group or artists. Hope is the fragile undertone of the play. How do you keep hope when all around you are people saying ‘Don’t bother’?” –triviana.com
- NYMF Reading Series (July 2019)
- NAMT Cabaret (Oct 2018)
- Barn Arts Collective staging workshop. Tremont, ME (August 2017)
- Ignite! Festival at the Repertory Theatre of St. Louis (April 5-6, 2017)
- MTF Residency at Playwrights Downtown (Jan 2017)
- TheatreWorks Silicon Valley, New Works Festival. Palo Alto, CA (Aug 2014)
- Cloud City/MTF: Equity Showcase. Ten Performances. Brooklyn, NY (Jan 2014)
- SPACE at Ryder Farm Residency Brewster, NY (Jun 2013)
- Joe’s Pub: Concert Version (April 2013)
- Shetler Studios: Equity 29-hour reading (March 2013)
- Small Theatre Alliance of Boston’s FeverFest (August 2009)
- Process Group Req’d Reading Series at Barrow St. Theatre (February 2009)
- Self-produced workshop with director Brendan Shea and a cast from ART Inst. for Adv. Theatre Training. Cambridge, MA (February 2009)